Vocabulary Self-Collection begins once students read and discuss a text assignment. By nominating words from their team, students are motivated to learn vocabulary.
(1) Divide the class into teams of two to five students, with each team nominating a word from the text.
(2) Have each team identify the nominated word and respond to these questions:
- Where is the word found in the text? Ask one student to read the passage that contains the word and that describes the context in which the word is used.
- What do the team members think the word means? Have the team decide on what the word means using information from the surrounding context.
- Why does the team think the class should learn the word? Have the team provide a rationale for the word’s importance.
Write the nominated words on the board with their meanings, and invite students to ask questions for clarification.
(3) Get students to record all the nominated words. These lists may be used for review and study.
- [No activities yet]